We have a new exciting opportunity at Saga Group for an Underwriting Manager to join our team in Folkestone. You will join us on a full time, permanent basis and will receive a competitive salary.
Saga is the UK's leading provider of insurance, travel, personal finance and healthcare products and services tailored to the needs of the over 50s.
We have become one of the UK's most trusted businesses by providing customers with excellent products and high-quality customer service for 65 years. We have successfully used our reputation and the brand's strength to broaden our product offering and expand into new areas where we know the Saga approach to quality and service will succeed.
About the Underwriting Manager role
The AICL underwriting team (the Team) forms part of the AICL head office group, reporting to the CEO. The Team delegates day to day running of policy sales and administration to its intermediaries, subject to parameters either built into IT systems or maintained in underwriting guides. Matters outside of the delegated authorities enjoyed by the intermediaries are referred to the Team, which is a centre of excellence.
The AICL Underwriting Manager's role is new to the Team, arising out of growth in the Team's span of control. You will deputise for the Head of Technical Underwriting as required to meet the needs of the business.
Key responsibilities as our Underwriting Manager
- Management of daily referrals ensuring quality and accuracy of responses within SLAs. Point of escalation, by exception, on cases when too complex for other Team members, whether policy, claim or fraud
- Provide a point of reference and guidance on technical issues for other departments and intermediaries
- Resolve issues arising out of errors in the distribution channels (internet, aggregators, contact centres)
- Provide quality through appropriate mentoring, training and development of less experienced team members
- Prepare statements on behalf of AICL, and attend court when required, on complex police or local government departments eg SOCA cases or social security enquiries
- Responsible for the system monthly underwriting changes in partnership with actuarial - timely, tested and accurate delivery through the Polaris product builder tool set
- Risk control through the construction of technical documents including policy wordings and associated documentation, best practice documents and underwriting guides (the Documents)
- Work with intermediaries to ensure that new and existing risk assessment questioning for both call centre and web-based quotation systems are formulated to achieve business required level of risk control
- Assist and advise AICL Head of Technical Underwriting on any regulatory, legislative, industry or environmental issues or changes that will or may have an impact on risk assessment
- Consult with Claims management to determine responses to development in case law and how these are reflected in the Documents
- Own the technical relationship with Third Party intermediaries. Develop strong relationships with intermediaries through attending regular review meetings and complaint liaison meetings
- Identify opportunities to improve operating efficiency or effectiveness in order to minimise the cost of underwriting or claims handling
Experience and skills required of our Underwriting Manager
- Excellent proven technical knowledge of personal lines insurance underwriting and ability to apply skill across the various lines within the company's portfolio
- Team leadership experience
- Competent understanding of personal lines claims operation procedures, processes and systems
- Significant understanding of current industry standards for risk assessment
- Previous experience of qualitative assessment in a large-scale operation, ideally within a claims or underwriting environment
- Familiarity with audit preparation, process and presentation within a cost and risk control environment
- Previous experience of EDI/Polaris systems working with or mapping to industrywide standards for both on and offline channels of business
- Full understanding of FSA requirements and current FOS rulings within the personal lines insurance environment
So if you would like to join our team as our new Underwriting Manager then please click ‘apply' today, we'd love to hear from you!